Spring back into action with seven activities for March

Caileen W. ’27

As the chilly grip of winter loosens its hold and the promise of spring becomes palpable, seize the opportu- nity to participate in these seven delightful activities that celebrate the changing season: There’s something blissful about bike rides, with the cool breeze and the warm sunshine to keep you company.

Cherry Blossom Tour

The celebrated cherry blossoms in the heart of the University of Washington’s campus are a sight to behold, attracting thousands of visitors every spring. With peak bloom anticipated in the third week of March, embark on a campus visit or even a virtual tour through captivating photos or a live webcam experience.

So channel your inner Marie Kondo and rejuvenate your living space.

Spring Cleaning

Marie Kondo once said, “Life truly begins only after you have put your house in order.” So, channel your inner Marie Kondo and rejuvenate your living space. Beyond banishing allergens, spring cleaning promotes wellbeing, enhancing focus and reducing stress. Embrace this timeless tradition of renewal as winter gives way to spring.

Seasonal Decorations

What better way to welcome spring than by DIY-ing charming spring decorations! Explore ideas like papier-mâché flowers, herb scented candles, and crochet Easter eggs. Pinterest is an eternal treasure trove of inspiration for your next spring-themed DIY project.

Nature Walks and Hikes

As temperatures become warmer, take advantage of the outdoors with hikes and leisurely walks. With winter fading away, wildlife becomes more active with the awakening of hibernating animals or the return of migrating birds. March also marks the beginning of vibrant greenery and picturesque flowers. Some beautiful spots nearby are Snoqualmie Falls and Discovery Park. However, you don’t even have to go that far. Just taking a walk in a nearby park or around the neighborhood is a great way to get some fresh air this season.

Whether it’s a moment of personal reflection, quality time with loved ones, or a simple escape from stress, a picnic offers a serene connection with nature.

Picnic at the Park

There’s no better way to take advantage of the warm and sunny weather than a picnic at the park. Whether it’s a moment of personal reflection, quality time with loved ones, or a simple escape from stress, a picnic offers a serene connection with nature. A picnic can also be an individual reflective moment to meditate or just relax in the presence of nature. Try a mini picnic at school during lunch!

Bike Excursion

There’s something blissful about bike rides with the cool breeze and the warm sunshine to keep you company. Whether solo or with loved ones, the State Route 520 bridge is a great route, offering breathtaking views of enchanting sunsets over the glistening waters.

Gardening Adventures

March marks the ideal time to start gardening: the days get longer, temperatures rise, and nature awakens. It’s a time of renewal. Start small: explore your local grocery store or a nearby nursery for a touch of greenery. Consider a succulent to add vibrant color to your home. For more information, look back at my October article on gardening.

March heralds a season of growth and renewal for both the Earth and ourselves. Leo Tolstoy said, “Spring is the time of plans and projects.” So this spring, embrace these seven activities to bask in the sunshine, savor the blossoms, and create beautiful memories. Whether it’s a moment of personal reflection, quality time with loved ones, or a simple escape from stress, a picnic offers a serene connection with nature.