A dive into the world of water polo with Sanjaya H. ’27

Courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
Water polo is a demanding sport, combining the intricacies of soccer with the added difficulty of playing in a pool.

Get ready for an enlightening journey to the four corners of competitive exercise. Welcome to “The Margins,” where I cover sports that exist outside of the headlines. 

This month’s focus is a popular yet underappreciated sport. As explained by Sanjaya H. ‘27, water polo is a full-contact game somewhat akin to soccer but in a pool. Players shoot the buoyant yellow ball, appearing similar to a volleyball, with one hand at a floating goal. Each game consists of four eight-minute quarters, making for a strenuous, intense sport which requires constant concentration and stamina. 

Through this type of exercise, water polo teaches discipline and forms close bonds between players. Sanjaya has been playing water polo for seven years, and he enjoys his position as a goalkeeper. Even better are the national and international tournaments. “When we’re not competing,” he says, “we’re usually at a restaurant somewhere or hanging out downtown.” The competition itself is physically demanding, though; after a long tournament day, Sanjaya can sleep for 14 to 15 hours straight. Additionally, the time commitment can add up to eight hours a week or more, not including the commute. 

Sanjaya has learned from water polo that it is crucial to attend practice consistently to keep up fitness, but it’s important to give your body and mind time to recover as well. Water polo is a challenging, but incredibly rewarding sport that, in my opinion, should be more popular!

Stay tuned for your next athletics adventure in “The Margins.”