Find your prime pair

Feeling lonely? Solve for romance and see if any of these subjects are perfect for you!

You’re a new student at a new school, and the last thing you need in your freshman year is yet another distraction from your otherwise busy life. But when a topic as interesting as math enters your life, sometimes you might just find it continuously irresistible!

Algebra:

You met this subject on the first day of school. They seem like the average person: cheerful but pretty basic. They’re the ones you always see in your classes but don’t know super well. However, where Algebra lacks in personality, they make up for in kindness. They hang out with their friends often, their favorite board game is Clue, but they don’t have many expectations in their life. They might not be anything super special, but they’ll definitely be a core part of your life whether you’re just friends or much more. Sometimes, Algebra can get a bit complex, but like all their problems, with a bit of time, you can solve for all their “x”s and their “y”s.

Geometry: 

“The pretty one” is all you’ve heard about this subject. They are beautiful, and everybody dreams of being with them. After all, the first thing you see when you look at them is their acute face and golden ratios. People say Geometry is sweet, but what would you know, a simpleton student in a simpleton school? They are the wannabe cool subject, and you can always catch them walking with their small friend group. They struggle in school, but survive because their daddy wrote 13 books. Geometry says they’re a big fan of similarity in a relationship, but if you want to score a date with this subject, you might have to literally be Da Vinci. If you’re not good with drawing, good luck solving their problems. 

Number Theory:

Number Theory can be caught quietly reading in corners, trapped in a world of their imagination. Anything abstract or large will catch this subject’s eye, especially if it involves a famous unsolved conjecture. If they’re not lost in thought with a book in their lap, you can find them “Euler” painting in the art studio, dreaming of becoming a famous philosopher one day. You’ll meet them one day during an art show your friends made you attend, and will be invested in their life forever after, even if you can’t quite tell what Number Theory is thinking or doing. But you’ll always feel like Number Theory is too perfect for you — and they probably don’t care much for a relationship with anyone else either. I suppose it’s just not their prime time. 

Trigonometry:

Trigonometry is like Geometry, but without the looks and more of the athletic talent. You see them everywhere you go, but they just don’t quite have as much of an impact as Calculus. They’re the captain of the ultimate team, and stride around campus like they’re the boss. But despite their intimidating outside, they’re a team player, and you can rely on them to get something done. They love any books or TV shows with love triangles and have a strange fascination with the Illuminati. Once you get to know Trigonometry better, they’ll open up their softer side, and you’ll realize they’re not as scary as they look. After all, there’s really only three sides to Trig: sports, school, and you. 

Statistics:

Avoid them at all costs, your friends say. Statistics looks gorgeous, and seems sweet and caring, but underneath their attractive outside is a collection of broken hearts. They’re always seen walking with another person, but they will assure you they’re just a close friend. They’re the Regina George of the school and will manipulate you to get whatever they want. Stats will probably ask you for your number one day after class, and you’ll instantly fall for them. But then they’ll leave you hanging on their first date and arrive 10 minutes late to the second one (it’s within the margin of error, they say). Later that night, while you’re sobbing on your bed, they’ll apologize over text and jump to making an outlandish excuse for their no-show. And you’ll believe it — after all, it seemed within the realms of plausibility. But just two days later, they’ll dump you because you were “an anomaly” or “in the lower quintile of competence.” Statistically speaking, your relationship won’t last more than a week. Maybe you should’ve listened to your friends more before you blindly believed the first statistic you saw.

Calculus:

Calculus is the most popular person at school. They’re handsome, they’re confident, and they seem to have their life figured out while you’re scrambling to remember your schedule even if it’s already halfway through the year. You’ve heard their name in every conversation, and you dream of meeting them one day. Then that day will come and you’ll be shaking in your boots. But their face will become concave up and you’ll find you’re slowly integrating into their life. With enough time, you’ll become friends — or much more. But if you get on their bad side, they will give you hell. Either way, they’ll probably be your last romantic relationship — or the beginning of many, if you decide to pursue a career in applied math. Whatever the case, even if you part ways, Calculus will be everywhere you’ll go. You’ll remember your moments together forever, whether in your dreams or in your nightmares. No matter what, there are no limits when it comes to Calculus.