Seven Vibes, Seven Jives for 2023

Felicity W. ’26

Across many different cultures, the number seven is a symbol with profound significance — a numerical muse echoing through various facets of our existence. It marks the rhythm of days in a week, the hues in a rainbow, the continents that define our world, and even the foundational notes in a Western musical scale. In the Christian tradition, it signifies the balance between virtues and vices, reminiscent of the wonders that once graced the ancient world. So it seems fitting to use seven songs to commemorate 2023, capturing the evolving mood and events throughout the year and celebrating universal human emotions.

Vulnerability — “Human”

“Human” is a power ballad by Christina Perri that speaks to the human experience of vulnerability, pain, and the struggle to keep going in the face of adversity. Perri reminds us that everyone has their own struggles and challenges, and that no one is perfect. She tells us how everyone puts on this mask to fake a smile or force a laugh, but in the end, we’re all human, and her vulnerability reminds us that it’s okay to be imperfect. 2023 was a year of reflection on our imperfections as we battled through unprecedented challenges and changes.

Sorrow — “Homura”

“Homura” is a song by Japanese singer LiSA. The lyrics are about overcoming grief and pain and moving forward with hope. The song speaks to the human desire to find warmth and comfort in difficult times and to keep moving forward no matter how hard it gets. 2023 is marked by the continued suffering of Israelis and Palestinians, Sudanese people, and many others facing tragic events and conflicts. “Homura” is a beautiful tribute to the human spirit and the power of hope in spite of the sorrow and sadness around us.

Hope — “Cupid”

The global sensation “Cupid” by Fifty Fifty, emerged as a viral hit this year, delving into the complexities of true love. With its infectious melody and upbeat tempo, the song effortlessly captures hearts. Despite the persistent feelings of solitude and doubt, the lyrics maintain a hopeful undertone, revealing an enduring desire for love.

Nostalgia — “Yesterday Once More”

Carrying the timeless charm of the 1960s and 1970s, Carpenters’ “Yesterday Once More” stands as a nostalgic tribute. This heartfelt composition beautifully articulates the longing to revisit moments of joy and warmth. Covered by numerous artists over the years, the song’s enduring appeal lies in its ability to evoke a sense of longing through Carpenters’ raw and soothing vocals, gently transporting listeners back to the embrace of happier times. The song is deeply comforting in the turmoil 2023 has brought. 

Longing — “Seasons”

“Seasons” by Rival, Cadmium, and Harley Bird captures the essence of a love that is fleeting, much like the changing seasons. Through metaphors drawn from nature, the song unveils the ebb and flow of a relationship — its cycles, memories, and the aspirations woven into each passing season. The singers reminisce about the shared moments, holding them in their thoughts like a gentle whisper that lingers in the breeze, a heartfelt yearning for the seasons that have come and gone. 

Determination — “King of the World”

“King of the World” is by an American rock band, Young Rising Sons. It’s an upbeat and optimistic song that encourages listeners to believe in themselves and create their own version of a kingdom defined by love and genuine connections. This song represents the challenges we have overcome and the scientific accomplishments we have made in 2023.

Joy — “Sunroof”

“Sunroof” by Nick Youre and Dazy brings us full circle, a joyous crescendo that reminds us of the simple pleasures and the radiant warmth of shared moments. The song captures the feeling of being with someone who makes you feel alive and free, and enjoying the simple pleasures of life. It’s a reminder of those moments of joy of 2023, such as looking up at the blue sky on a sunny day.

In the harmonious blend of these seven songs, I hope we find a musical compass guiding us through the ever-changing seasons of life. May these melodies continue to echo in our hearts, reminding us of the universal threads that connect us all.