Inclusivity in Action at Pride Night

Lia S. ’25
Teammates and rainbow-clad fans cheer on the boys varsity basketball team at Pride Night.

Through an engaging environment and voices of student athletes, Pride Night works to bridge the gap between the LGBTQ+ and athletic communities while celebrating diversity. Pride Night 2023 was no different — highlights included competitive basketball games, illuminating student speeches, and a welcoming environment.

A vibrant kaleidoscope of colors and sounds, people sporting rainbow lion apparel, waving flags, and loud cheering made for a vibrant atmosphere.

The night before winter break, students, families, and faculty flocked to the gym to participate in Pride Night and support student athletes. A kaleidoscope of colors and sounds, rainbow lion apparel, and loud cheering made for a vibrant atmosphere. A vibrant kaleidoscope of colors and sounds, people sporting rainbow lion apparel, waving flags, and loud cheering made for a vibrant atmosphere. The four girls and boys varsity and JV games were competitive and fast-paced, buzzers sounding amidst the thud of the ball against the court, the screeching of shoes, and the shouts of the crowd. Except for a brief power outage at 5:00, the night went on without a hiccup. 

During each halftime, a student speaker talked about the significance of Pride Night and their own experiences as LGBTQ+ athletes. One of them was Kyle Frink ’25, a trans lacrosse player. In an interview after his address, Kyle explained, “[The LGBTQ+ and athletic communities] can be two polarized communities at times.”According to The Trevor Project, LGBTQ+ students are less likely to participate in sports than their peers, often due to of fears of discrimination and harassment. Kyle expanded on the significance of representation and visibility: “It’s not a faraway issue … right here at Lakeside there are queer athletes, there are trans athletes, and it’s important to make sure that they are seen and heard.

…Having more awareness and representation—people like myself, who are willing to be role models—is a really great thing for people to have.

— Kyle F. '25

Having more awareness and representation — people like myself, who are willing to be role models — is a really great thing for people to have.” To other trans or queer athletes in the audience, it can be affirming to hear someone talk about similar athletic experiences.

In recent years, Pride Night has been made possible by a partnership between Lakeside’s LGBTQ+ student alliance group, GLOW, and Lakeside’s Parents and Guardians Association. The event was first established by Chris Hartley, Director of Athletics. Several years ago, Mr. Hartley attended a workshop arranged by the Seattle Sounders and conducted by Hudson Taylor, the founder of Athlete Ally. At the workshop, he was introduced to the Seattle Sounders’ Pride Night and realized the Lakeside athletics department could do its own part to create an inclusive space.

Pride Night is an important step in recognizing the importance of inclusivity in the realm of athletics and ensuring a platform for LGBTQ+ athletes to feel seen and heard. Beyond offering colorful pride apparel and free pizza, this event serves to unite two communities and bring awareness to the intersectionality that ties them together. With so many benefits, it is clear that Pride Night should continue to be a staple in the Lakeside Athletics program.