The Student Newspaper of Lakeside School

TATLER

TATLER

TATLER

First-Year Runner Amy C. ’26 Places 28th at States

Amy+C.+%E2%80%9926+leads+Lakeside%E2%80%99s+girls+varsity+team+while+racing+at+Magnuson+park+
Courtesy of Lakeside Athletics
Amy C. ’26 leads Lakeside’s girls varsity team while racing at Magnuson park

This season, Amy C. ’26’s Cross Country accomplishments not only placed her as the 28th best runner in Washington State but also on the Lakeside women’s 5k leaderboard as sixth-best amongst race times dating back to 1998. When asked about her previous competition experience, Amy laughs, saying, “I was on the cross country team in fifth grade.” Amy’s achievement even surprised Running Head Coach Sally, who comments: “Amy is a naturally gifted runner who appeared unannounced and unknown prior to this season.” 

Amy only started running again last year for fencing conditioning, an idea she credits to Anya V. ’26. After that, “I guess I just wanted to get faster,” says Amy. Building upon an already impressive 6:30 mile time, Amy utilized the pressure of the race to get herself into what runners call a “race pace mindset.” Coach Sally remarks on this powerful skill, saying, “[Amy possesses] an ability to hold herself to an uncomfortable and aggressive pace during races, which was key to her fantastic season this fall.” Amy also points to how she “learned how to race” with Coach Sally’s guidance by trying new strategies during competitions, such as steadily passing runners throughout the race rather than using sudden bursts of speed to overtake competitors. In the final 200 meters, she memorized when to start her sprint down the finish chute in order to maximize energy while giving the race her all. Combined, these strategies enabled Amy to leave her competitors in the dust, swiftly moving her up the leaderboard. 

During my chat with Amy, we reminisced over an unforgettable moment from her 9th place finish at districts. While I, along with our teammates, crowded the edge of the course to watch Amy barrel down the winding gravel-and-grass course, Amy recognized a competitor that had outran her twice before. This time, Amy had her sights set on passing that runner. By the two mile mark, she successfully pulled up alongside her competitor, maintaining that position for the next mile through sheer willpower. “That was the most pain I’ve ever felt,” says Amy. In the end, her determination paid off: She not only beat that runner, but also achieved a time of 18:49 on the Marymoor park course, astonishing her parents, coaches, and teammates alike. 

When I ask Amy if she too was surprised by her placements this year, she nods her head: “I didn’t have many expectations. I just wanted to perform decently.” Due to her modest expectations, her achievements have acted as motivation to train harder in the off-season and set a higher bar for herself in the coming years. “Sometimes,” Amy muses, “it makes me enjoy running more. When I’m not enjoying it as much, I still have something else pushing me.” Next year, Amy has her sights set on breaking an 18:30 5k time and placing in the top 20 at the state meet, but most importantly, she says, “I want to keep enjoying running.”