The Unseen Choreography of Campus Care

The Maintenance Team’s 5-9 before Lakeside’s 9-5
Katie M. Simmons
The maintenance team.

Humming away in the background is a hive of people working in tandem to keep the campus safe, beautiful, and clean. It is a scene crafted by those who shape the campus into a haven for learning and growth through tireless efforts even before the first bell rings: the maintenance team. 

The morning kicks off at 6:30 a.m. as the maintenance crew conducts a sweep of every building on campus. Their mission: create a warm and welcoming environment for students and teachers alike. Turning on the heaters to dispel the morning chill, checking the garbage bins, and unlocking the doors, they ensure spotless classrooms and stocked-up bathrooms before Lakesiders arrive. As the weather grows cold, the team must pay extra attention to slippery pathways, chilly classrooms, and frozen pipes. Trees start shedding their leaves, painting the sidewalks and Red Square with a mosaic of colors. The maintenance crew, armed with leaf blowers, dedicates mornings to whisking away these piles of dead foliage, preventing them from becoming a potential safety hazard. By 8:30 a.m., as the first classes begin, the leaf blowers are silenced, allowing the school to settle into a quiet academic atmosphere. 

The maintenance headquarters. (Katie M. Simmons)

However, the day is far from over. Removing pests, treating the trees for aphids, and sweeping the fields are all part and parcel of maintaining the green areas around the campus. Recently, they swapped out the synthetic crumb rubber in the turf field for organic cork, an extensive operation. Though cork is safer, it tends to freeze over in the winter and rapidly sprout weeds. Maintenance foreman Mr. Burgess remarked that the department is “doing its job when you don’t see [the mess] in the first place.” Part of their undertaking is making sure that no one has to encounter a dead rat or an overflowing toilet. 

The department is doing its job when you don’t see [the mess] in the first place.

— Mr. Burgess

Nonetheless, accidents do occur, and part of working in maintenance is being both flexible and prepared. “We always have a contingency plan,” Mr. Dawkins, director of facilities, shared. “You have to know the codes, know the best practices, and follow them.” Managing facilities often instills a “jack of all trades” sort of mentality, with staff prepared to address broken windows, wiring issues, plumbing, heating, and more. Their versatility becomes evident in split-second emergencies, such as when, several years ago, sewage became backed up and overflowed into Red Square. Quick on their feet, they shut down the restroom, called a truck to bail out the waste, and redirected student traffic, resolving the problem with quiet efficiency. 

Their versatility becomes evident in split-second emergencies, such as when sewage became backed up and overflowed into Red Square.

In the symphony of daily Lakeside life, the maintenance crew plays a vital, yet often unassuming role. From early mornings opening up the campus to nights spent cleaning and restocking the classrooms, their diligent efforts result in a safe, clean, and warm space to learn. Kleenex and Purell materialize in classrooms and offices, students are greeted with walkways freshly swept, and candy wrappers vanish off floors and into trash cans. The result is a thriving campus, a testament to the indispensable role played by those who work tirelessly behind the scenes.