Accessibility Is For All Of Us

We need to talk about accessibility. As a long-time member and this year’s leader of CIDA, the Chronic Illness and Disability Affinity, I have had the opportunity to be a part of many different conversations about accessibility on campus with people who have various accessibility needs.

We all have our limits, and we have to be able to recognize when we’ve reached ours.

One thing that I have noticed, however, is that these conversations often take place in insulated settings between students with disabilities and not with the greater community. Other times, I have heard people wonder out loud if there are any students with a disability in their grade. (I can assure you that there are.)

October is Disability Awareness Month, and I want to invite everyone into the discussion on what it means to have an accessible campus. As an able-bodied student who receives accommodations for a mental disability, my experience represents only part of what being disabled at Lakeside can look like. Here, I’m drawing mostly from my own experiences and concerns that have been brought forth during my work with CIDA, but this is by no means a complete view or the end of a conversation. Instead, here are some talking points to get us all thinking about how to make Lakeside a more accessible place, and hopefully to spark more conversations in the future.

1. How can we provide food for every body?

First off, let’s stop complaining about Meatless Monday. Yes, I get it, meat is tasty, and I know that complaints are often meant to be in good fun and may seem trivial. For some people, though, not eating meat is more than personal preference and is because of a health issue that prevents them from doing so or their religion. What if the frustration around Meatless Mondays were put toward advocating for meatless options we can all be excited about? 

While on the topic of food, I think we all can agree that snacks make a great addition to any event; however, many students have shared with me that it can be a challenge to find allergy-safe snacks at clubs or other school events. What makes something allergy-safe? Avoiding cross-contamination is key: think individually wrapped items, sealed, with allergens listed. Remember to keep a look out for common allergens that often are forgotten about and can be “hidden” in snacks, such as gluten, sunflower seeds, and eggs. Is it challenging to find snacks free from all major allergens? Very. Is it more expensive? Likely. Asking about allergies beforehand, and listening to the requests of anyone who has them, can mitigate these factors and help you plan ahead to make sure everyone can enjoy a treat. 

1. Accommodations are not an advantage.

With standardized test season in full swing and midterm assessments fast approaching, I think it’s a good time to remind everyone to be mindful when talking about accommodations. Having heard how it “must be nice to have extra time” on more than one occasion, I’ve often been unsure of how to respond. I think these comments are generally well-meaning, and it is really nice to have enough time to be able to show what I actually know, but things like having to get to school an hour before anyone else when taking the SAT, only to still be working while others head to lunch, can be frustrating. The reality is that I get the same 24 hours in the day as anyone else, so having to use more time to complete a test usually means less time for me to do things I enjoy, like eating lunch with my friends or going to club meetings. Even with a take-home exam or just day-to-day homework, I have to budget more time in my day to get it done than others might. In a place like Lakeside where time is often in short supply, the hardest thing for me to accept has been that I can’t do it all. I wish I’d learned sooner to stop comparing how much I’m doing to how much everyone else is. We all have our limits, and we have to be able to recognize when we’ve reached ours. Honor those limits, and support those around you in doing the same. 

1. We need more physical accessibility on campus. 

As Lakeside has been making plans for a new building and a long-term vision for the school, I have heard many people comment that it’s good that we’re getting a new building, since Moore is entirely inaccessible. Many buildings on campus built before ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) standards were put into place can’t change easily, but I think it’s good that people are starting to question their presence. For those of us who haven’t been impacted by a lack of physical accessibility, it can be easy to not think about it. Let’s change that right now. See if you could mentally trace out a wheelchair-accessible path from the second floor of the library to the stage in St. Nicks. Nearly impossible, right? As Lakeside continues to plan for the future, creating a more accessible campus needs to be a priority. 

1. Accessibility is for all of us.

In Demystifying Disability, author Emily Ladau describes accessibility as “removing barriers to participation, engagement, and understanding so that all people, regardless of ability, can experience the world around us to the fullest extent possible in ways that work for our minds and bodies.” The more that we can make classrooms, clubs, and other community events accessible, the more it helps everybody. Turning on closed captioning for videos and presentations (yes, Google Slides will do it for you), making slide decks available on Canvas after class, and reducing the number of assessments that require a time limit can benefit everyone, not just the students who have accommodations specifically for those things. Providing good vegetarian options helps those with health-related dietary restrictions or religious restrictions.

See if you could mentally trace out a wheelchair accessible path from the second floor of the library to the stage in St. Nicks. Nearly impossible, right?

Making sure stairs aren’t the only way to get to class makes it accessible for a student who uses a mobility aid or sprained their ankle at practice last night. Finally, anyone can gain a disability, whether temporarily or permanently, at any point in their life — all the more reason to promote accessibility for everyone!