The Student Newspaper of Lakeside School

TATLER

TATLER

TATLER

Summer Spotlight: Minoo J. ’24 and NYO-USA

A hundred-person youth orchestra takes on the nation
NYO-USA performing Berlioz’s Symphonie Fantastique at a sold-out Carnegie Hall (Carnegie Hall)

The National Youth Orchestra of the United States of America (NYO-USA), as written on everything from promotional ads to water bottles, celebrated its tenth anniversary this past summer. After two weeks of sectional and full orchestra rehearsals in upstate New York, the prestigious Carnegie Hall–run program toured the country in the latter half of July, visiting and playing in eight cities: Groton, Massachusetts; New York City; Montreal; Nashville; Dallas; Jackson Hole, Wyoming; Palo Alto; and San Diego.

One of the most notable parts of the program is its cost; it’s free to all who participate, even covering the cost of plane trips, lots of bus transportation, lodging, and meals. Carnegie Hall’s Weill Music Institute, which oversees their music education programs, enjoys a large endowment that allows them to support young musicians from a range of financial backgrounds.

Indeed, throughout the eight shows and cities, Minoo said his fellow musicians truly made the experience.

Minoo noted that “classical music isn’t pop music, it’s not in the spotlight” — no pun intended. Arts patrons are somewhat lacking in the U.S. compared to other countries, so the opportunity for young classical musicians to work together in this way is all the more exceptional.

Tatler’s own Minoo J. ’24, one of five participants from the Seattle area, joined the orchestra for what he described as “the best two weeks of my life.” Minoo, an oboist who plays for Lakeside’s concert band and Seattle Youth Symphony Orchestra (SYSO), was part of the 109-person orchestra’s woodwind section. Their initial rehearsals were eye-opening. “We all shared the same understanding of the music, and that was a beautiful thing,” he remembered thinking.

One of the most notable parts of the program is its cost; it’s free to all who participate, even covering the cost of plane trips, lots of bus transportation, lodging, and meals.

The orchestra hit the road in mid-July, first performing in Massachusetts and New York. Minoo recalls their debut Carnegie Hall performance as one of his favorites. The energy backstage was electric — and matched by the sold-out house. “Everyone was so energetic and positive and up to the challenge,” he said.

Indeed, throughout the eight shows and cities, Minoo said his fellow musicians truly made the experience. This wasn’t limited to their shared passion for classical music performance, but truly because of the friendships formed in the little moments. Minoo remembers scootering to Vanderbilt University and eating hot chicken sandwiches in Nashville, running for takeout in San Jose, and hiking in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. He keeps a mental list of these moments, not to mention the concerts themselves.

The winds and brass of NYO-USA stand after a concert in Stanford University’s Bing Hall (Carnegie Hall)

“At performances, everyone draws and contributes energy,” he said, which adds to the exciting atmosphere and sense of community. “It feels like home.”

His advice for other aspiring student musicians? “Practice, practice, practice,” he laughs, quick to clarify that the painfully familiar adage isn’t the whole story. “Try your best,” he says, “and make the best of what you have.”