Tatler is Growing Up

EIC Intro Letter

Dearest Lakeside,

It was previous Editor-in-Chief Evie B.-W. ’22 who said, in her advice to incoming editors, that she thought of Tatler as her baby. Ever since it was birthed Athena-style from the mind of the Lakeside class of 1934, Tatler has been outspoken and spirited. The paper was named after the 18th-century British paper The Tatler, whose founder Sir Richard Steele described its goal as “to expose the false arts of life, to pull off the disguises of cunning, vanity, and affectation.” Fashioned after Steele’s mission, Tatler has always been a little bit feisty and rebellious, and as proud Tatler parents, we want to encourage this spirit and wit while remaining within the bounds of journalistic integrity.

Tatler has always been a little bit feisty and rebellious, and as proud Tatler parents we want to encourage this spirit and wit while remaining within the bounds of journalistic integrity.

Just like all of us, Tatler is still growing and maturing, even at 89 years young. In just the past few years, Tatler received its first phone (established a website and Instagram), became more spontaneous (created new special issues covering important topics), and started attending art camp (increased the emphasis on multimedia content).

We have a lot more big plans in store for our baby this year. First and foremost, we’re excited to deepen Tatler’s connection with the Lakeside community, primarily through a new monthly newsletter highlighting special events and people on campus. We’re also looking forward to bringing a greater breadth of opinions into Tatler through expanded guest writing opportunities, especially in the STEM section, which is trialing this fall. 

We’re also looking forward to bringing a greater breadth of opinions into Tatler through expanded guest writing opportunities

If you liked the April special issue last year, you’ll love to hear that special issues are coming back bigger and better than ever before: Look out for two of them this year. And finally, the Tatler baby is finding its way into its sibling’s closet and trying on some new styles — new colors and designs are also in store for the year to come.

We’ve been told that parenting is difficult, but we’re excited for the journey ahead. We look forward to guiding Tatler’s growth, watching our baby further blossom into the brilliant and eloquent young (incredibly old) newspaper we know it can be. We’re thankful to have the support of the baby’s extended family (our wonderful editorial team), and we hope that you’re all excited to navigate this wild and unpredictable parenting journey with us.

Much love, 

Lucy and Zane