In Defense of Pajama Pants

Pajama Pants (Jackson B. ’25 giving Tatlerites wearing pajama pants the bombastic sideye.)(Rishi L. ’24)

Let me start off by saying that I am truly not the pajama-pants-to-school type. In fact, several people over the past two years have said that I dress like the feminine counterpart of one Jackson B. ’25, whose scathing article on his distaste for pajama pants has merited this rebuttal. Every morning at 6:00 AM, I wake up, make my bed, go through the steps of my skincare routine, and put on the outfit I laid out the night before. Like Jackson, I value professionalism in my attire, not because of any particular environment I’m in, but simply because it’s my preference. However, I don’t think that Lakeside should be an environment that requires and expects its students to constantly reflect professionalism in their clothing choices.

Our teachers want us to be comfortable so we can learn — that’s their job, not policing or judging our fashion choices.

To speak on the idea that wearing pajama pants indicates a lack of respect, it doesn’t seem like pajama pants would be the straw that breaks our teachers’ backs. There are so many ways we can show respect and appreciation to our faculty and staff for their time. For example: showing up to class. I think most would agree they’d rather have a student be present in class than spend time getting ready for school. 

Although it might take Jackson 30.43 seconds to put on jeans, that’s not the case for everyone. Since the beginning of time, highschoolers have been plagued by insecurities; it’s basically in the job description. Many students don’t feel comfortable or confident wearing denim, for example, or find it too restricting. These students should be able to choose to wear whatever they do feel comfortable in, pajama pants or otherwise. Our teachers want us to be comfortable so we can learn — that’s their job, not policing or judging our fashion choices.

Many an unprofessional decision has been made by a man in a suit.

Lakeside should promote a culture of professionalism and respect; that’s something on which Jackson and I couldn’t agree more. I’d even concede that for especially professional occasions at school, such as a presentation or MUN conference, we should probably polish up a bit. But that doesn’t mean that anyone should judge anyone else on account of their clothing or take them less seriously because of it. We shouldn’t have to dress “nicely” or any certain way to be professional and respectful, and the way we dress doesn’t determine whether or not we act appropriately. In fact, many an unprofessional decision has been made by a person in a suit.

No student wears pajama pants out of blatant disrespect for their teachers or community, and if they were to, there’d probably be more pressing issues with their behavior at school, rather than their choice of bottoms. Whether you’re a die-hard flannel fan or more of a trousers type, I encourage you to let people live their lives, free to wear whatever they want to a school where they’re supposed to feel comfortable, safe, and ready to learn. Who’s to say you can’t do that in pajama pants?