Donate Blood at Lakeside. It Won’t be in Vein.

Join Snoopy from the Peanuts in donating to the Lakeside Blood Drive! (Mt. Airy News)

Some Lakesiders may feel slightly faint the day after May Day. No, it won’t be exhaustion after a day of carnival games but instead an after-effect of donating blood. Reviving a pre-COVID annual tradition, Red Cross Club will be hosting a blood drive for Lakeside students, faculty, and staff on Tuesday, May 16.

The timing of the blood drive comes amidst a national surge in donations and youth consciousness of blood donation. In April, the Red Cross began a national promotion where blood donors would receive a free t-shirt with a sunglass-clad Snoopy and the text “Be cool. Give blood.” Donations rose by 40% after the shirt went viral on TikTok, and content creators encouraged viewers to donate and get their own shirts.

Unfortunately, Lakesiders who donate will not receive Snoopy shirts (as the promotion ended on April 23), but Red Cross Club hopes students will still donate with the knowledge that their donation will make a difference. “Knowing that Lakeside students and faculty are passionate about service and helping the community, we hope that Lakesiders will jump on this opportunity to make a tangible difference in our local area,” wrote the leaders of the club in an email.

The entire donation process takes less than an hour and involves just a pre-donation health check, 10 minutes for the actual donation, and around 30 minutes afterwards to recuperate.

Having the blood drive on campus is also meant to make donation simpler and more accessible. The entire donation process takes less than an hour and involves just a pre-donation health check, 10 minutes for the actual donation, and around 30 minutes afterwards to recuperate. Red Cross Club will be providing free juice and cookies as post-donation treats and recovery snacks.

Participation is open to everyone over the age of 16, although anyone younger than 18 needs to fill out a parental consent form. In most cases, donors also must weigh at least 110 pounds. There are other limitations for people currently dealing with an infection or taking antibiotics in order to prevent the spread of illnesses via blood. 

Other considerations for prospective donors to keep in mind include the Red Cross’s recommendation that donors not engage in any intense exercise for the rest of the day after their donation. Lightheadedness is relatively common after donation, and fainting is rare yet possible. To minimize negative impacts of donation, the Red Cross recommends eating iron-rich foods before and after donation and drinking lots of fluids.

Even though donors won’t receive a coveted Snoopy shirt, Red Cross Club emphasizes that “every donation can save a life.

Blood donation may not be possible for everyone, but for those who can, it’s a worthwhile act of service. Even though donors won’t receive a coveted Snoopy shirt, Red Cross Club emphasizes that “every donation can save a life.” With a blood drive happening conveniently on campus and the community excitement the club has already seen, they’re hoping that the blood drive will mark a successful return to the annual tradition.