Lakeside Takes First Steps Towards Constructing New Academic Building

Anyone who’s ever squeezed through a tight hallway in Moore or been packed like a sardine into the Science lab knows firsthand that Lakeside is in need of new academic facilities. The last new academic building to open was Allen-Gates in the 1980s, and since then Lakeside’s student population has begun to slowly outgrow the space on campus. For that reason, Lakeside is taking its initial steps towards constructing a new academic building on the site of the former portables.

The administration has been considering a new building for some time, but planning is beginning in earnest now because of new philanthropic support Lakeside received from alumni and other donors. However, Dr. Bynum said that the school will still need to fundraise for the building’s construction. The timeline for the entire project is still unclear, but it’s likely to take several years to move from initial planning and conception to construction and completion. While many current students will have graduated by the time the new building opens, Mr. de Grys noted that to correspond with the building project, the administration is also “cooking up some new curricular innovations that we hope to roll out as soon as next year.” 

Mr. de Grys said that the plan to build a new academic space reflects the school’s commitment to innovation and constant improvement. In this spirit, the administration wants to hear students’ desires for what should be included in the new building. Next week, architects from the company LMN will be on campus to survey the site and collect information from student volunteers, faculty, and staff on the most-desired additions or improvements to school facilities. They’ll use that information to create initial concepts for the new building.

Next week, architects from the company LMN will be on campus to survey the site and collect information from student volunteers, faculty, and staff.

Although Dr. Bynum expressed that the school would like for the building to be used as an interdisciplinary space, he added that Lakeside has a need for “more lab space for our sciences and more functional teaching spaces for some of our English and humanities classes.” 

Later in the design process, students will be able to offer specific input about community spaces, the incorporation of technology, furniture, artwork, and color schemes, among other decisions. The process of designing the building will involve iteration and rounds of feedback between architects and students, teachers, and staff. On top of community input, the architects must also consider things like “budget constraints, permitting, zoning regulations, soil geology, and environmental considerations,” said Mr. de Grys.

So, Lakesiders, get excited and get ready to advocate for what you want in the new building. If you’ve always wanted to have a student kitchen, a space telescope, fancy bean bag chairs, or a ball pit, now is your chance to share your desires. The future of Lakeside’s academic spaces is (partially) in your hands!