2020 Washington State High School Photography Competition Results

Every year, Lakeside photography students enter in the 2020 Washington State High School Photography Competition, and this year was no different. The following are a selection of the winning shots, alongside the artists’ statements.

Thomas Y. ‘21

Black and white film has always been my favorite medium of photography to work with. Film photos can carry stark contrast and elicit a strong, timeless feeling along with it. Although the exterior of the building appears aged and plain, I have always been amazed by the interior architecture and grandeur of this atrium. The entire building is filled with natural light from the glass dome, and its spidery legs cast a dramatic shadow across the walls and floor of the building. Taken between the two towers of busy elevator shafts, this photo attempts to capture that dramatic lighting and the impending shadows that loom on the walls. I wanted to emphasize the symmetry of the building.

Vidisha G. ‘20

I’m always on the lookout for patterns, repeating shapes and lines, and striking contrasts. In this photograph, for example, the three windows in my living room create a set of shadows that are beautifully distinct; the conditions are unique and cannot be replicated. Light shining through the windows during sunset will quickly fade, and there is no guarantee that the golden color or the strong shadows created will ever be the same. Over the years, I’ve come to focus more on light. specifically, its ephemerality. The impermanence of light is what makes it beautiful to me. For me, strong shadows and reflections, contrasts, and silhouettes make a photograph unique and meaningful. If I am able to capture a fleeting moment of time where the sun is in just the right spot, I have succeeded in my goal.

Helen T. ‘22

It’s an honor to have my photo be a part of the 2020 Washington State High School Photography Competition exhibition. Photography has strengthened the relationships in my life and allowed me to escape the small world I always grew up in. I have discovered parts of my identity and gained patience, passion, creativity, and confidence in my work. This photo reflects just one of the most significant aspects of my life: family. My family is one of the many reasons why I have continued to pursue my interest in photography for the past 2 years. Whether it’s traveling with me or witnessing my growth, my family has always supported me. My 13-year-old brother, the subject in this photo, occasionally appears in my photos and has assisted me with past projects. I also recognize it’s a privilege to learn about digital and film photography and I look forward to continuing to utilize photography to share my own stories. 

Megan K. ‘23

With my work, reality is twisted. What I see is simply an outline for what I can create. Although an eye and a lens seem similar, the camera creates a unique and unexpected perspective. It’s a direct reflection of personality, presented as an image. That’s why I love photography.

Virgil C. ‘20

Libraries and bookstores have always served as a home of sorts to me. There’s a comfort in being surrounded by so much knowledge, so much information, so much beautiful art, and books were a kind of escape for a long time. I wanted to try and capture that on the summer day I took this self-portrait. The window nook was exactly the kind of place I would often be found curled up with a mediocre YA fantasy novel, oblivious to the world around me.

As I’ve grown, that feeling has faded. I don’t have the same voracious appetite that I used to, and in a way, this photo is both an attempt to re-capture it and a mourning of its loss. I still love the atmosphere, the warm lighting and dark wood, the endless rows of hardcover spines, the slogans and bumper stickers and pins, but the book itself is gone, replaced with a wistful stare out the window, a very pointed absence.  

Annie H. ‘22

In this photo, I worked to capture the reflection of the bridge. This was a challenging subject to shoot because of the way the light bounced off the water. After working through almost a roll of film, I was able to capture a clear and crisp image. In the dark room, I manipulated the contrast of the image in order to capture the dark blacks and shadows of the image. I am very proud of the way the final print turned out.  

David C. ‘22

This particular bowl and pair of chopsticks are not important: any bowl or plate or spoon or knife would have meant the same, for the objects themselves are not special. What is important is the family dinner that comes with them. Since before I could remember, family dinners were like our little ritual. It is a space and time where we can finally exhale after a day’s work or catch our breath after a day’s play. Sure, we have family walks and trips to the movie and whatnot, but when time slipped through our hands while we were busy at violin lessons or soccer practice or work, walks and trips to the movie disappeared. Family dinners did not. Dinners became something I could lean on to rest to my weary legs and recenter myself, just as I did the day before.

Visit https://www.kenmorecamera.com/topic/wshspc-2020a for the rest of the competition results!